Douglas Fir Lumber Technical Species Information
Detailed scientific and mechanical properties for Douglas Fir Softwood Lumber
- Description: Douglas Fir has the highest strength to weight ratio of any wood species. Primarily found in the western US and Canada, Douglas Fir is frequently use for dimension lumber in lower grades, and for interior finish work in upper grades. Douglas Fir clears are renowned for their strength, durability, and ability to stand up to the elements. In addition to its strength, Douglas Fir has rich coloring with the heartwood aging to a dark tan-red color and the sap wood remaining light tan. Vertical grain, clear Douglas Fir is widely considered to be one of the finest materials available for trim, mouldings, doors, windows, exposed beams, ceilings and paneling. Douglas Fir CVG flooring has been used throughout the US since the 1800's and is often found in classic historic homes.
- More Info: We stock KD CVG flooring in 1x4 and 1x6.
- Other Names: Pseudotsuga menziesii, Blue Douglas-fir, British Columbia pine, British Colubian pine, Coast Douglas-fir, Colorado Douglas-fir, Colorado Pino real, Colorado real, Columbian Pine, Douglas spruce, Inland Douglas-fir, Interior Douglas-fir, Oregon Douglas-fir, Oregon pine, Puget Sound pine, Red fir, Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir, Yellow fir
- View These Products
Douglas Fir Lumber Scientific Properties and Technical Specifications
- Janka Hardness: 710 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 12,400 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,950 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 530
- Color: Heartwood is Golden-yellow to orange-red. Sapwood is light tan to light yellow.
- Photosensitivity: Moderate
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.6 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.8 %
- Family: Pinaceae
- Tree Characteristics: Tree can grow to a height 130 feet of with a diameter of up to 5 feet.
- Geographic Area: Western US, Oregon, Washington, California; Western Canada, British Columbia
- Texture: Coarse to medium
- Grain: Straight to wavy
- Luster: Medium to high
- Durability Rating: Heartwood is very durable.
- Drying Characteristics: Rated as fairly easy to dry, with slight chance of splitting and checking
- Working Characteristics: Workability is rated as easy.
- Applications: Decking, flooring, construction, decorative veneers, furniture, joists, joinery, sub-flooring, plywood, wharf construction
View These Products
Other Species of Wood from Nova USA