Massaranduba, Brazilian Redwood Hardwood Technical Species Information
Detailed scientific and mechanical properties for Massaranduba, Brazilian Redwood Hardwood Lumber
Massaranduba, Brazilian Redwood
- Description: Brazilian Redwood, also known as Massaranduba, is a gorgeous and durable hardwood whose durability makes it a frequent choice not only for flooring but decking as well. The naturally beautiful heartwood can range from light to dark brownish-red, with a grain that can be straight, somewhat wavy, or interlocked. Brazilian Redwood is also very easy to maintain, and it's Janka hardness rating of 3,190 ensures that it will stand up just as well against impacts in the short term as it will against decay in the long term.
- More Info: Massaranduba is stocked by Nova in typical decking sizes of 1x4, 5/4x4, 1x6 and 5/4x6. This material can be run to custom patterns as well including paneling, rainscreen siding, interior flooring and portch flooring.
- Other Names: Manilkara bidentata, Chicozapote, Ausubo, Nispero, Beefwood, Bolletri, Balata Rouge, Paraju, Bulletwood
- View These Products
Massaranduba, Brazilian Redwood Lumber Scientific Properties and Technical Specifications
- Janka Hardness: 3,190 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 29,200 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 3,450 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 1,000
- Color: Heartwood color is dark reddish brown to dark red. Sapwood color is pink.
- Photosensitivity: Massaranduba will darken with age.
- Tangential Shrinkage: 9.4 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 6.3 %
- Family: Sapotaceae
- Tree Characteristics: Massaranduba grows up to 150 feet tall with a diameter of 4 feet.
- Geographic Area: Latin America from Mexico throughout much of South America.
- Texture: Fine
- Grain: Straight
- Luster: Low
- Durability Rating: Rated as very durable with good resistance to most insect attack. Susceptible to marine borers.
- Drying Characteristics: Slight tendency for checking. Pronounced warping and moderate cupping.
- Working Characteristics: Despite its high density Massaranduba generally produces good results with both hand and machine tools; though it does exhibit an above-average dulling effect on cutters. Responds well to steam-bending. Can pose challenges in gluing due to high density and oil content.
- Applications: Flooring, decking, heavy construction, light construction, boats, turnery, paneling and musical instruments.
View These Products
Other Species of Wood from Nova USA