White Oak Hardwood Technical Species Information
Detailed scientific and mechanical properties for White Oak Hardwood Lumber
- Description: White Oak is full of light tones that give a crisp, clean feel. It has long been a versatile standard in homes across the U.S. because of its universally complimentary combination of deep grayish-brown heartwood and pale white tones. White Oak is also known for its durability, strength, and resistance to wear, serving as planking for boats and even mine timbers. This elegant wood’s amazing decorative flexibility makes it an outstanding floor for all settings and occasions. White Oak comes in a variety of colors and stains to suit any decor.
- More Info: Our White Oak is available in the engineered and solid formats. The boards are 1/2" thick with 3-5" widths available with 1-4' random lengths. Many of our engineered products are FSC certified.
- Other Names: Quercus spp, Arizona oak, Stave oak, white oak, Swamp white oak, Brewer oak, Garry oak, Oregon oak, California white oak, Valley oak, Valley white oak,
- View These Products
White Oak Lumber Scientific Properties and Technical Specifications
- Janka Hardness: 1,360 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 15,200 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,780 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 900
- Color: Light to dark brown with light brown sapwood.
- Photosensitivity: Low
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.2 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.2 %
- Family: Fagaceae
- Tree Characteristics: White Oak can reach a height of 125 feet with a large diameter.
- Geographic Area: Throughout the United States.
- Texture: Coarse
- Grain: Straight grained
- Luster: Low luster
- Durability Rating: Rated as very resistant to heartwood decay
- Drying Characteristics: Moderate movement
- Working Characteristics: Rated as easy to work, gluing and holding fasteners exceptionally well. It can split when nailed unless predrilled. It is rated as finishing well, but shrinks considerably.
- Applications: Ships, railroad crossties, timber bridges, tannin dyes, fuel wood, hardwood dimensions and flooring, furniture, veneer, plywood, barrels, kegs, casks, truck and trailer beds, mining timbers, containers, pallets, caskets, boxes, paneling, flooring.
View These Products
Other Species of Wood from Nova USA