Batu Wood, Red Balau Hardwood Technical Species Information
Detailed scientific and mechanical properties for Batu Wood, Red Balau Hardwood Lumber
Batu, Red Balau
- Description: Meranti Batu / Red Balau resembles the rich classic look of Genuine Mahogany. Batu / Red Balau heartwood ranges from a medium red to a deep red / brown and often has resin canals with white contents in concentric lines on end surfaces produce a warm and visually striking effect; the texture of Batu / Red Balau is moderately fine and grain is typically interlocked.
- More Info: Batu / Red Balau hardwood has become one of the most popular exterior decking woods on the market today. Nova imports and distributes our Batu / Red Balau decking throughout the U.S. and Canada through a network of leading distributors and retailers. Nova's Batu / Red Balau is graded and inspected at the source by our own personnel ensuring that our material is of the highest quality.
- Other Names: Shorea guiso, Red Balau, Alan Batu, Selangan Batu, Mangaris, Membatu.
- View These Products
Batu, Red Balau Lumber Scientific Properties and Technical Specifications
- Janka Hardness: 2,100 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 18,400 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,560 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 850
- Color: Russet red brown to medium brown
- Photosensitivity: Yes, Batu / Red Balau darkens on exposure to UV light
- Tangential Shrinkage: 8.8%
- Radial Shrinkage: 6.3%
- Family: Dipterocarpaceae
- Tree Characteristics: Batu / Red Balau trees are up to 80 meters tall
- Geographic Area: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines
- Texture: Medium to fine
- Grain: Straight grain
- Luster: Medium
- Durability Rating: Excellent. Nova offers a 25 year warranty on Meranti Batu against rot and decay in temperate climates.
- Drying Characteristics: Batu / Red Balau dries rapidly with little decay
- Working Characteristics: One of the easiest to work relative to typical high density tropical decking hardwoods. Meranti Batu is much easier to install than Ipe or Cumaru.
- Applications: Batu / Red Balau is idea for exterior decking, millwork, railing, porch flooring, siding, soffit, wainscotting.
Other Species of Wood from Nova USA